Apply for Job
Back to list
Position Summary (Primary Function)
Installs and configures new computer equipment and telecommunications equipment such as, routers, switches, cabling, fiber optics, gateways, etc. Maintains and assures integrity of our IT infrastructure and fiber backbone. Develops and assists the IT manager with implementation of policies and procedures to ensure security of computer networks, dependability of backup and recovery systems, and the protection of assets. Primary focus will be on network components, security, firewalls, internet connectivity, bandwidth issues and other network related concerns, especially those related to airports (e.g., CUTE-Common Use Terminal Equipment, CUPPS-Common Use Passenger Processing Systems, etc.)
Performs duties and provides technical assistance to users of personal computers, networks, servers or portable devices and peripheral devices to include maintaining and troubleshooting operations and communications hardware and applications and/or systems software and peripheral devices in a Microsoft Windows environment. Provides support during normal business hours AND, when necessary, “after-hours” for the Airport Commission, including the Executive/Administrative Department, ARFF (Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting Department), Maintenance Department, Operations Department, Cerulean Aviation, and Police Department as well as to Airport Tenants on Shared Tenant Services (STS).
Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
- General responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited, to the following tasks:
- Install, upgrade, monitor, and troubleshoot issues with networks, including client computers (i.e. desktops, laptops, tablets), phone systems, PDAs, cell phones, other telecommunication devices, VoIP, and wireless systems.
- Assists in monitoring and maintaining network access, security devices, and connectivity including secure firewall policies, remote users utilizing virtual private networks (VPN), SSL-VPN, and wireless access.
- Provides Tier 1 support for users and approved visitors.
- Administers user account/services such as Active Directory/Exchange accounts, VOIP services, Microsoft Office suite, internet access, and security permissions.
- Installs, tests and maintains software patches and upgrades.
- Maintains an inventory of equipment and parts as well as documentation of vendor activities.Interfaces with outsourced IT, phone, and networking vendors as required.
- Receives incoming IT-related telephone calls and visitors, answer questions as appropriate and/or directs them to appropriate party.
- Maintains and protects all enterprise information, with special emphasis on information deemed to be confidential.
- Responsible for any and all other duties as may be assigned from time to time by supervisor.
- Works on multiple projects and tasks both individually and in a project team environment. Monitors network functionality and security with appropriate audits, reviews, data analysis, and testing.
- Required to work in shifts including outside of normal business hours, as deemed necessary by supervisor.
- Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of supervisors, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing.
- Confers with other managers, directors, and various vendors to evaluate hardware, software, and telecommunications equipment.
- Initiates, negotiates (if necessary), manages, administers and evaluates vendors, outsource, and consultant contracts and service agreements in consultation with the IT Manager .Takes necessary, timely, and effective action to ensure work of outside entities is timely, in conformance with contract documents, and within required budget.
- Ensures computer networks, servers, databases, and files are secure from unauthorized use and data is backed up and recoverable.
- Ensures computer networks are fee of viruses through use of up to date protection software and testing.
- Develops and assists the IT Manager with the implementation of disaster recovery plans.
- Assists with the maintenance of multiple-user flight information display system (MUFIDS), gate information display system (GIDS), and baggage information display systems (BIDS).
- Provides technical expertise relating to network systems and security to IT Manager and designated project teams.
- Performs backups to ensure data integrity in case of catastrophic loss.
- Maintains server logs and VLAN/Switch logs.
- Keeps current with the latest technologies and researches potential technology solutions.
4 year degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in a Computer Science, data processing/information systems, or related field.
- CompTIA A+, I-Net+
- MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional)
- MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer)
- CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate Routing & Switching) or equivalent
- CCDA (Cisco Certified Design Associate)
- CCDP (Cisco Certified Design Professional)
- CCNP (Cisco Certified Network Professional)
- Additional IT certification(s) that distinguishes skill set on network security, VoIP, VMware, Firewall, or WAN.
- Four (4) years or more of progressively responsible experience as a computer/network specialist, end-user support technician, certified network engineer, and/or networking professional. Certifications may be used for partial substitution of education or experience requirements at the discretion of management.
- Possesses an excellent knowledge of and diagnostic abilities with common hardware, software, and networking technologies associated with a Microsoft Windows environment, including, but not limited to:
- Microsoft Active Directory in a 64-bit Windows Environment
- Ethernet architecture, DHCP, DNS, FTP, TCP/IP, Subnets, and other related services and protocols
- Microsoft Exchange Server
- Microsoft Enterprise Business Server
- Microsoft Unified Communications; OCS (Office Communication Server)
- Router installation/configuration, switches, LAN topologies in a campus environment
- Microsoft SQL Server, ISA Server
- File Sharing and Permissions;
- Printing and electronic document services
- Basic multimedia applications and technologies
- Familiar with LAN/WAN topologies; server documentation and maintenance of backups, errors, and security procedures.
- Familiar with common physical data cabling, specifically Twisted Pair, Single and Multi-mode Fiber.
- Hardware Configuration: Familiar with laptop configuration and repair, PC and server maintenance and troubleshooting, upgrading hardware components, for servers and desktop units, printer maintenance, and configuration of units for the network as needed. Installation and configuration of other peripherals as needed.
- Ability to independently analyze and solve routine computer related problems. Ability to read a variety of informational documentation, directions, instructions, methods and procedures, such as technical manuals, software manuals, wiring diagrams, blueprints, product documentation and related materials.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- This position requires skills in prioritization, organization, verbal communications and interpersonal relations, and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must work well in a team environment with limited instruction/supervision.
- Ability to write reports, speak with and before others with poise, voice control, and confidence.
- Must be able to learn and understand complex principles and techniques; to make independent judgments in absence of supervision; and to acquire knowledge of topics related to primary occupation.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality, to perform work with a positive attitude, and in a professional manner at all times.
- Strong analytical and reporting skills.
Valid Driver’s License
- Physical Demands – At times, exposed to heat, cold, rain and snow in a noisy environment. Must possess the ability to perform strenuous physical activities such as lifting heavy equipment.
- Attentiveness to work procedures will reduce potential risk of injury in work areas.
- Will be subject to recall after normal duty hours.
- Work schedules, to include rotating shifts, hours of work and days off may be changed at any time at the discretion of the supervisor.
Must be able to complete and pass a background investigation as required by the Federal Government and aviation-related authorities.
Apply for Job